**The story was actually kinda rushed because it is due tomorrow and I just finished it***
Alone: Julian’s Wish by Savanna Russell Creative writing 3/24/11
Alone: Julian’s Wish by Savanna Russell Creative writing 3/24/11
I awoke at midnight to my parents fighting (like every other day). My dad’s deep voice roared like a lion throughout the house. I heard my mother scream bloody murder, which probably meant that dad used another one of his famous back hand slaps. It doesn’t seem like it would hurt that much, but believe me, once he back hand slaps you, it feels as if a fireball exploded on your cheek. I’ve had that happen, and your cheek turns from white to salmon. My painful thoughts were interrupted by my dad’s tormented rage
“Never f**king touch my beer stash, you old b**ch! Look, one of the bottles are already empty!”
“What the hell is going on here?!” I shouted as I stormed down the creaky stairs with my nails digging into my palms, “Its midnight!”
“This does NOT concern you!” my dad scowled.
As soon as I noticed the evil in his dark brown eyes, I quickly crept up the stairs and as soon as I got to my room, I made sure my door was locked, so I wouldn’t have any intrusions by my drunken, overbearing dad or my annoying little 10 year old brother Jimmy. Jimmy is a mirror image of me: same brown shaggy hair down to our chins, same striking brown eyes, same pale skin tone… basically the only difference is that I am seven years older and my parents have been spoiling Jimmy ever since he started pooping in diapers. He is always in my business, from stealing money out of my wallet and throwing my laundry everywhere to breaking my Ipod speakers (which were a ton of money) and he thinks it’s funny to knock down my picture of Angie. Angie was the only person in the world I can tolerate. She was thin, tall, had luscious long blonde soft curly hair and dazzling blue eyes the color of the sky. She was an angel inside as well as on the outside. She could even make a funeral a happy place with her beautiful, shy smile. The only thing that wasn’t perfect about her was that she never saw what I saw. In her eyes, she was useless. She was always to mean to herself and calling herself despicable names under her breath. The reason why she was so broken was that when she was little, both of her parents died in a gigantic car accident while trying to save her. They were actually driving her to her friend’s house, so she blamed herself for even mentioning about her play date and that they died while trying to save her. “It was all my fault,” she always used to cry, “I should’ve died instead of them.” Eventually, she got sent to numerous foster homes, which made her think no one wanted her. She also used to tell me frightening stories about how cruel some of the foster families treated her. She was even locked in a closet with numerous bloody cuts for hours by one of her foster dad’s. Switching schools was also really tough for her, since she always used to be extremely shy around new people. She also had a history of being bullied to tears. I have always been there for her when she transferred to my school. We became inseparable and before I knew it, I became head- over- heels in love with her. I was gonna confess my endless love to her, but when I called her, she wouldn’t answer. I paced around anxiously looking for her for a week, but she was nowhere to be found. The next week, I got a call from her cell phone. “Could it be? Is it really her?” I nervously thought as I was answering the phone.
“He-hello? Ang-Angie? I mi-missed you so mu-much,” I nervously stuttered as I answered the phone.
“This is Angie’s foster mom..”
“Where is Angie? Is she okay?” I anxiously asked as my hand gripped the phone harder.
“Julian, I am sorry to say this, but Angie is gone, we found her lifeless on the ground with an empty bottle of sleeping pills lying next to her..”
All of a sudden, I felt as if my heart had stopped right when I heard the news about her death.
I screamed into the phone, “Did you do anything to save her?! Why did you let her die?!”
“We sent her to the ER, there was nothing the doctors could do to revive her.”
I felt as if I’ve been dangling off a cliff for years, only to be saved by Angie’s soft hand, but now that she’s gone, I fell hard to the ground. Anger exploded out of me like a volcano as I chucked the phone with all my might. Little did I know however, that I subconsciously hit Jimmy in the face with the phone. I bet it didn’t hurt him so hard that he had to scream, what a wimp. Of course, hearing my pathetic little brother’s scream, my dad came storming into the room. “What have you done?!” my dad’s voice boomed as if plugged into an amplifier. All I could do was whimper. I tried to explain myself but I couldn’t get the words out of my mouth. Angie is dead, and soon I will be if I don’t get out of this room. He grabbed me by the shoulder with his big muscular hands and jerked me towards him so I was right in front of him. I knew I was in some deep s**t. Before I knew it, he back hand slapped me, shoved me into my room, and slammed the door shut, leaving me alone to deal with the love of my life’s death. How could she do this to me? Did she ever once think about how I felt about her, how I hugged her, how I couldn’t survive a day without her? I loved her so much, I even wanted to marry her! My pillow dampened with tears pouring down my blood shot eyes. Without her, I am alone in this terrifying, difficult world with my abusive drunken father, my alcoholic mother, my spoiled little brother, and my “friends” who never make an effort to approach me. I tried finding a new love, Beccah, who was a thin, tall girl with straight brown hair, brown eyes, tan skin, and big… yeah. I thought everything was going well between us, but then I found out that she never cared about me and I caught her and my best friend, Nick making out on a bench. After being consumed by my dreadful thoughts, I peered out into the black night sky. I then noticed there was one star that was bigger and brighter than any other star in the sky. Although being skeptical that my wishes will actually come true, the words, “I wish everyone would disappear,” escaped from my sorrow filled lips as I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.
The next day, I woke up from a completely undisturbed sleep. I wondered why I couldn’t hear my father curse or my mom screamed, but when I looked at my alarm clock, it read 1:30PM. I jumped out of bed, rummaged through my dowers to find an old t-shirt and jeans, quickly went through my hair with a brush, rapidly brushed my teeth, stuffed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich into my mouth, and bolted out the door. I wonder why I didn’t get woken up. I guess they only woke up Jimmy, considering that he is the obvious favorite, forgot about me, and drove to the liquor store to get more booze. As I was sprinting to school, I noticed outside was eerily quiet. At this hour, I would hear many cars zooming by, the laughter of the small children next door, or just people engaging in many conversations. Being worried and suspicious, I decided to stop and look around to see what was up with the quietness. I saw no one, not even the paperboy who would throw newspapers in yards, not even the woman with the pink headband who gets up early to jog, not even the homeless men begging for money were there. “Did my wish actually come true?” I thought.
I nervously observed as I dragged my worn out converse to Lakeshore High, AKA the hell hole. No one likes me there, only Angie is… was the only one. Although it has been a few months since, I still can never get over the fact that she is dead. I shook my head quickly to get my head out of the clouds and head to school as fast as I can. “I hope I’m not in any trouble… my parents hate me enough already,” I thought anxiously as I twitched my thumbs, as if trying to win against a thumb war with myself. I actually have been in deep trouble for punching this idiot Tommy and breaking his nose saying that Angie deserved to die, and trust me once my parents got the call, my dad came charging with his fists. I approached my hell hole with a nervous smile on my face, thumbs still twitching. To my surprise, the whole parking lot was completely empty, not even the busses were there. “What day is it?” I whispered softly under my breath. I grabbed my phone from my denim jean pocket and pressed the on button. The sudden music coming from my phone when I turned it on made me jump back a bit. “Monday, 2:00 PM” my phone read. Could it be a holiday? A surprise dismissal? A snow day? It’s May 12th, a Monday. No snow on the ground and I highly doubt anyone got dismissed. I inhaled the warm, spring air as I walked up to the door. I took hold of the door handles and pushed and tugged against it, but the stupid glass door wouldn’t budge! “WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!” I screamed into the crisp, blue sky. I guess I shouldn’t bother spending all day here trying to open the door to hell; I’ve been trying to get in for five minutes. If I was the only person in the universe, I thought I could have some fun.
Yes, I’ve been enjoying myself in this world of me and I, Julian Parker am proud to say that I shoplifted the local candy store, and did not get caught. “Life is fun when you are the only one on Earth,” I cheered softly as I pigged out on chocolate bars, “I can get away with whatever I want since no one is here to arrest me.” While slowly walking back home, I noticed Tommy’s big, fancy mansion. I cracked an evil smile and picked up a heavy rock I found in his yard. “hmmm” I hummed as I tossed in my hand. Anger coursed through my veins as my arm lurched forward, throwing the rock at the glass door. Glass shattered like a firework onto the floor. At first, I instantly regretted throwing that rock, but then I remembered that I was the only one here so I wouldn’t have to pay for any damage. I never even thought about damaging property, I have always just walked away, but now that no one else is here but me and after throwing rock after rock after rock at Tommy’s house really helped me.
I was on a roll tonight; in all, I threw rocks at numerous houses of the people I despise, even some teachers’ houses had broken windows. I went to bed that night with an evil smile on my face as I shut my eyes and enter dream world.
It has been a week in this fabulous world of three people: me, myself, and I. 7 days of breaking into candy stores, smashing windows with rocks, and taking whatever I wanted from the mall. But somehow, after a week of being alone, I felt alone. I have no idea why I was feeling this way, I mean I hate everyone, why would I want anyone? I know if anyone suddenly came back, I would be locked up and charged a ton of money, but I want to talk to someone.
I have had enough with being alone, a new week already started and I am fed up with being by myself. Suddenly, I thought I overheard a mirror break. I quickly bolted into the bathroom and noticed there were no scratches on it. “Hmm, must be not having enough sleep,” I sighed as I glanced into the mirror. I did after all spent the night in fetal position sulking about how lonely I am. All of a sudden, I heard the mirror shake and a second later, instead of staring at my blood shot eyes, my messed up hair, and stubble, I noticed the image in the mirror started morphing. I saw my reflection turn into a familiar figure; gorgeous blue eyes, long curly blonde hair.. She looks familiar. “ANGIE!” I belted as tears flooded out of my blood shot brown eyes. She appeared to be struggling to get out; punching the mirror trying to break the glass, kind of like Tinker Bell when Captain Hook trapped her in a lantern. “Help me,” she tried to shout, but the mirror prevented her voice from travelling outside of the mirror. She placed her hand on the glass and I did the same. Although I couldn’t feel her small hands, I became overwhelmed with happiness. Tears of sadness soon became tears of joy as I was reunited with the love of my life. She frantically started to slap the mirror, trying to get out to see me. I stood there like a statue, wondering what I should do. I hurried down the stairs and grabbed my dad’s hammer, bolted up the stairs, and dropped the hammer as soon as I saw her image fading away. “NO, ANGIE! DON’T LEAVE ME AGAIN!” I bolted as tears exploded out of my eyes. My last image of her was her frightened face mumbling “Go to the school,” as she faded away. I swiftly grabbed the hammer. As soon as I picked it up, I felt a sense of rage consuming my body as I charged at the mirror with the hammer. All of a sudden, as soon as the hammer bonked against the mirror. Cracks filled the once clear mirror as bits of glass came raining down right below me. I started breathing rapidly as I wiped off the sweat on my forehead. I have become a monster, but I can’t help it. I will get Angie back no matter how insane I have become. As I was grabbing the hammer, I made sure not to step or hold any of the broken shards of glass. “Angie, here I come,” I bellowed aloud. As I kneeled down to get the hammer, a shard of glass latched onto my knee. I moaned in pain as I reached over the other shards to get my hammer. As soon as I got up, I limped out the door, down the street, and into the school with a trail of blood following me like a snail leaving its slime.
As I reached the high school with blood soaking my pants, I desperately tried to open the locked door. A surge of anger burst out of me to become more violent with the door handle. “LET ME THE F**K IN!” I screamed as I pushed and pulled the handle. Rage exploded out of me like a nuclear bomb as I bonked my way into the school with the hammer. Before I knew it, I was inside the dark, abandoned school. I suddenly heard cries coming from the boys bathroom upstairs, shouting “Help! Let us out!” I bolted up the creaky stair case and the closer I got to the bathroom, the louder the cries were. Something instantly took over my body as I flew open the door. I looked at the mirrors and saw everyone I knew: Jimmy, dad, mom, Beccah, Tommy, Nick, my teachers, and even Angie desperately screaming for help while trying to escape the mirrors. I raised my hammer and watched my little brother frantically struggling to break the mirror. As much as I hated him, I knew I had to listen to my conscience and do what’s best for him. I shouted “Let me help you out, buddy!” as I swung at my hammer into the mirror. Glass shattered rapidly as I looked at the others stuck inside. The same rage completely took over as I charged at the mirrors with my hammer, breaking every single one in order to get everyone out. “Hello? Julian! Help me!” I heard a familiar voice moan quietly. It’s Angie! I vigorously slammed my hammer into the mirror. As soon as I viciously attacked the mirror, shards of glass came exploding out of the mirror. The last thing I saw was a big shard zooming towards my neck. I felt the sharp edges slash against my neck…
LAKESHORE NEWS REPORTS (the aftermath)
Sources report that a series of security cameras caught 17 year old troubled teenager Julian Parker throwing rocks at people’s windows, robbing candy stores, and vandalized the school. While the officials were analyzing the terrifying footage, they noticed that Julian was indeed sleep walking, perhaps in a dream that he was the only person in the world. A student at Lakeshore high school recently discovered Julian’s decapitated body lying on the floor in a pool of blood surrounding him. His head was a few inches away from the body with shards of glass covering his neck and a hammer was found jammed into the wall, where only a few medium pieces of glass remaining. Many guess it was a suicide, but while the officers were watching the footage, Parker appeared to be acting as if his loved ones were stuck in a mirror.
Wow. Though there were some gramatical errors (I'm a detail freak), that was very powerful.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen. You should really consider becoming an author.
yeah.. grammar isn't my best thing in the world.. but thanks :D im probably gonna focus on my artistic abilities but i do like to write :)
ReplyDeleteWow that. Was. AMAZING. I have not read anything this great since I finished NightShift by Steven King! the end was just excelent! it gives you that little feeling of shock. I loved how you showed everything from Julian's point of veiw.
ReplyDelete